Skip to main content

Nebraska Counties Explorer

Cuming County

Cuming County Seat (pop.): West Point (3,500)

Cities, Towns, and Villages (pop.): Bancroft (496), Beemer (611), Wisner (1,239)

Courthouse Address and Hours:

200 South Lincoln Street
West Point, Nebraska 68788
M-F 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

County Board Chairperson: Steve Sill

Complete list of county board members

County Board Meetings: Last Tuesday & Wednesday

View the County's Government Maps

Visit the County Fairgrounds

NACO District: Northeast

President: Monica Rotherham, Madison County Clerk of the District Court 

Vice President: Lisa Lunz, Dixon County Supervisor

Secretary: Krista Nix, Knox County Deputy Clerk 

Treasurer: Krista Nix, Knox County Deputy Clerk 

NACO Board Representative: Bill Tielke, Holt County Supervisor 


Population: 8,984
Land area (sq. mi.): 570.52
Population per square mile: 15.8


White: 86.8%
African American: 0.8%
American Indian: 0.8%
Asian: 0.6%
Hispanic: 10.9%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.0%


0-17: 24.6%
18-64: 53.4%
65+: 22.1%


Personal income per capita: $71,979
% of Population in Poverty: 7.9%
# of Housing Units: 4,150
Owner-occupied rate: 66.3%
Median home price: $152,490


Access to broadband (100 Mbps via fiber or cable modem): 63.5%

Sources: National Association of RealtorsNebraska Library Commission, U.S. Bureau of Economic AnalysisU.S. Census Bureau

Employment, Schools, and Child Care

Unemployment rate: 1.6% (as of September 2022)

County Employment Website:

High school graduate or higher: 90.0%

Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.1%

School Districts: Bancroft-Rosalie Community Schools, Howells-Dodge Consolidated Schools, Logan View Public Schools, Lyons-Decatur Northeast Schools, Oakland Craig Public Schools, Pender Public Schools, Scribner-Snyder Community Schools, West Point Public Schools, Wisner-Pilger Public Schools

Countywide child care capacity: 15 providers; 270 children

Find child care: For a list of child care providers in your zip code, visit Nebraska DHHS or the Nebraska Resource and Referral System.

Cuming County Economy

Annual Gross Domestic Product (2020): $710,830,000

Ag. Producers (Cattle): 320

Ag. Producers (Crop): 170

Grain Co-ops and Purchasers: Central Valley Ag

Local Grain Market: Click for today's grain prices in Cuming County

Electricity Providers: Burt County PPD, City of West Point, City of Wisner, Cuming County PPD, Stanton County PPD

Sources: National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA), Nebraska Cooperative Council, Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary EducationNebraska Department of TransportationNebraska Office of the CIO, Nebraska Power Review Board, U.S. Bureau of Economic AnalysisU.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau

2022 Levies and Valuations

County levy rate: $0.1338 per $100 of taxable valuation

County property taxes levied: $3,788,905

Total local government property taxes levied: $32,321,841

Total countywide taxable valuation $2,831,595,255

Click here for all levy rates in Cuming County

County Levy and Taxation Laws

Levy limits

Since 1996, counties and other political subdivisions have been subject to the levy limits listed in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-3442 and Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-3443.

Statutes and regulations:

Nebraska Revised Statutes (Chapter 77)

Nebraska Administrative Code (Title 350)

Local tax reductions, exemptions, and credits:

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 76-902(5)(a) (Deed "stamp tax" exemption): "The [stamp tax] shall not apply to: ... (5)(a) Deeds between spouses, between ex-spouses for the purpose of conveying any rights to property acquired or held during the marriage, or between parent and child, without actual consideration therefor."

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-201(2) (Valuation of agricultural land and horticultural land): "Agricultural land and horticultural land as defined in section 77-1359 shall constitute a separate and distinct class of property for purposes of property taxation, shall be subject to taxation, unless expressly exempt from taxation, and shall be valued at seventy-five percent of its actual value, except that for school district taxes levied to pay the principal and interest on bonds that are approved by a vote of the people on or after January 1, 2022, such land shall be valued at fifty percent of its actual value."

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-6703(1) (Tax credit for school district taxes paid): "(1) For taxable years beginning or deemed to begin on or after January 1, 2020, under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, there shall be allowed to each eligible taxpayer a refundable credit against the income tax imposed by the Nebraska Revenue Act of 1967 or against the franchise tax imposed by sections 77-3801 to 77-3807. The credit shall be equal to the credit percentage for the taxable year, as set by the department under subsection (2) of this section, multiplied by the amount of school district taxes paid by the eligible taxpayer during such taxable year."

Sources: Nebraska Department of Revenue

State Senator: Ben Hansen (District 16)
Committees: Agriculture, Business and Labor, Health and Human Services, Rules, Legislative Mental Health Care Capacity Strategic Planning Committee

Map and statistics for Legislative District 16

Map of all districts in the Nebraska Unicameral Legislature

Cuming County History

Number of Registered Historic Places: 3

Year Authorized: 1855

Year Organized: 1857

Etymology: Thomas Cuming (Nebraska Territorial Governor)

    Selfless public service was one of the original cornerstones of Cuming County, named after Thomas Cuming, twice Nebraska’s territory governor. After helping organize the territory in 1857, Cuming County’s first county officials appear to have served without pay and also used their own money to purchase supplies necessary to run the county. The county seat drifted between planned sites until landing on a settlement called New Philadelphia, later renamed West Point. As with many Nebraska counties, Cuming County grew up amidst territory occupied by Native American tribes prior to European settlement. In this instance, the Omaha and Pawnee lost territory (including the hunting grounds of the Elkhorn Valley) following pioneer expansion across Nebraska.

     During its first two decades, Cuming County quickly developed, and a courthouse was built only thirteen years after the county was organized. There is some dispute over the settling of key towns in the county, but most research suggests that the Bruner brothers were influential in settling the area near West Point, likely at the behest of the Nebraska Settlement Association. The county experienced a railroad boom in the late 19th century, more than tripling in size. The county witnessed the construction of hotels, businesses, mills, and other supporting infrastructure. Unlike other urban county centers, the two principal cities of West Pointe and Wisner have largely maintained the populations gain made in the early 20th century.

Business Improvement Grants (B.I.G.): Thanks to the continued support from the Donald E. Nielsen Foundation, the Cuming County Economic Development (CCED) is able to provide Business Improvement Grants for local businesses. The CCED uses this grant to help businesses upgrade their exteriors, interiors, and marketing efforts. The grant offers a cash match up to $2,500 for exterior expenses related to paint, signage, lighting, and windows, among others, and a cash match up to $1,000 for interior expenses related to lighting, flooring, furnace, paint, ceiling, shelving, and equipment. The grant also offers a cash match up to $1,000 for marketing expenses related to website development, photography, e-commerce, and marketing-related seminars.  

Commercial & Housing Demolition Program: The Donald E. Nielsen Foundation awarded the CCED this grant for the purpose of assisting eligible communities in Cuming County with demolishing dilapidated commercial and residential structures, as well as cleaning up the area for future redevelopment. The grant offers a cash match up to $15,000 for commercial projects and up to $5,000 for residential demolition projects. 

To learn more information about the Business Improvement Grant or the Commercial & Housing Demolition Program visit

LB840 Funds: The communities of Bancroft, Beemer, and West Point offer LB480 funds for the purpose of creating new jobs, attracting new retail businesses, broadening the tax base, generating employment opportunities, expanding the labor market, and attracting new capital investment.  For more information about the LB840 funds visit 

For more information about the Cuming County programs, please contact David Branch, the Director of Cuming County Economic Development, at (402) 372-6001 or via email.

Owner-Occupied Housing Funds:  This partnership with Federal Home Loan Bank and F&M Bank allows CCED to help county communities with housing projects. These funds are based off of income and the applicant must be the owner of the house.  Eligible rehabilitation or repair projects may include but are not limited to issues involving accessibility, roof, electrical, plumbing, sewer, mechanical, foundation or other structural, windows, doors, floor coverings, wall repair, paint, or hazardous material remediation. 

License Plate Number: 24

Time Zone: Central

Zoned County: Yes

Number of Veterans: 559

Voter Turnout (2022): 56.16%

Emergency Mgt. Planning, Exercise and Training (PET) Region: Northeast

Number of County-Owned Bridges: 355

Number of County-Owned Dams: 1

State Lands (acres): Black Island WMA (204.62)

Sources: Nebraska Department of Transportation, Nebraska Emergency Management AgencyNebraska Game & Parks CommissionNebraska LegislatureNebraska Office of the CIONebraska Secretary of StateU.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (eCFR)