Cities, Towns, and Villages
County Seat: Stanton
Courthouse Address and Hours:
804 Ivy Street
Stanton, Nebraska 68779
Chairperson: Dennis Kment
Board Meetings: 3rd Monday of each month
View Additional Census Data
In 1856 the Territorial Legislature defined boundaries for what was to be called Izard County, in honor of Mark W. Izard who was Nebraska's territorial governor at the time. The county would remain unorganized for some time and in 1862 the county boundaries would be redefined. The legislative act which redefined the county's boundaries also changed the county's name to Stanton, after Edward M. Stanton, who served as Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln.
Although Stanton County was officially created in 1862, it would not be formally organized until five years later when the first local election was conducted.
Early settlers in the county were of German heritage. As word spread of quality land being available for low prices, the county's population steadily increased along the Elkhorn River and the rolling hills that surround it. These settlers were determined to make a living off the land and soon large areas within the county's boundaries had been cultivated.
The first large-scale attempt at farming and livestock production came in 1867, when an entire township was purchased. It later became known as Township Farm and is credited with the early development of the county's agricultural base.
This population increase led to the need of a courthouse. After some controversy about where a county seat should be located, county commissioners directed that a temporary courthouse be built in the townsite of Stantonville, which was later shortened to Stanton. In May 1871 a contract was let and a 350-square-foot frame building was erected. Because of its small size, this first courthouse would be occupied only by the office of the county clerk.
In 1874 additional room was needed for the county to conduct its business. Efforts were begun to build a new courthouse, which opened that same year. This building would be used until 1976, when county officials moved in the present courthouse.