Skip to main content

Nebraska Counties Explorer

Gage County

Communities and Development

Gage County Seat: Beatrice

Total County Population (2020): 21,704

  • Cities (pop. & class): Beatrice (12,261 • 1st Class), Blue Springs (282 • 2nd Class), Wymore (1,377 • 2nd Class)
  • Villages (pop.): Adams (604), Barneston (90), Clatonia (263), Cortland (504), Filley (124), Liberty (37), Odell (260), Pickrell (186), Virginia (74)
  • Unincorporated Pop. (% of county pop.): 5,642 (26%)

Land Development (2022) (% of total land in county):

  • Agriculture: 84%
    • By method: Dryland (row crop/grain/forage) (56%); Irrigated (row crop/grain/forage) (14%); Pasture (pure grassland) (14%) • Neb. Dept. of Rev. - total equals agriculture's %
    • By commodity: Soybeans 35%, Corn 34%, Livestock (grassland) 15%, Other Hay 1%, Alfalfa 1%, Wheat 1% • USDA - equals agriculture's % minus public grassland/wetlands and reserve
  • Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Conservation Reserve & Exempt (combined): 11%
  • Timber: 4%

County Offices

Courthouse Address and Hours:

612 Grant
Beatrice, Nebraska 68310
M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

County Board Chairperson: Erich Tiemann

Complete list of county board members

County Board Meetings: Every other Wednesday

View the County's Government Maps

Visit the County Fairgrounds

NACO District: Southeast

President: Misty Ahmic, Seward County Commissioner

Vice President: Patty McEvoy, Saunders County Clerk of the District Court

Secretary/Treasurer: Amber Mulberry, Saline County Clerk of the District Court

NACO Board Representative: Mark Schoenrock, Jefferson County Commissioner

Click for a live look at Gage County (south of Wymore)


Population: 21,704
Land area (sq. mi.): 851.46
Population per square mile: 25.5

Race & Age


White: 92.4%
African American: 0.6%
American Indian: 0.4%
Asian: 0.5%
Hispanic: 2.9%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander: 0.0%
Two or More Races: 3.1%


0-17: 22.6%
18-64: 55.8%
65+: 21.6%


Personal income per capita: $57,838
% of Population in Poverty: 8.5%
# of Housing Units: 10,327
Owner-occupied rate: 70.3%
Median home price: $146,580


Access to broadband (100 Mbps via fiber or cable modem): 75.7%

Sources: National Association of RealtorsNebraska Library Commission, U.S. Bureau of Economic AnalysisU.S. Census Bureau

Employment, Schools, and Child Care

Unemployment rate: 2.0% (as of September 2022)

County Employment Website:

High school graduate or higher: 90.5%

School Districts: Beatrice Public Schools, Crete Public Schools, Diller-Odell Public Schools, Freeman Public Schools, Lewiston Consolidated Schools, Norris School District 160, Southern School District, Tri County Public Schools, Wilber-Clatonia Public Schools

Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.7%

Community College Service Area: Southeast Community College

Countywide child care capacity: 45 providers; 996 children

Find child care: For a list of child care providers in your zip code, visit Nebraska DHHS or the Nebraska Resource and Referral System.

Gage County Economy

Annual Gross Domestic Product (2020): $1,006,935,000

Cattle Producers: 315

  • Pastureland Cash Rent (avg.): $46/acre

Crop Producers: 236

  • Dryland Cash Rent (avg.): $163/acre
  • Irrigated Land Cash Rent (avg.): $267/acre

Dairy Producers: 4

Grain Co-ops and Purchasers: E-Energy Adams, Farmers Union Coop, Frontier

Local Grain Market: Click for today's grain prices in Gage County

Farmers Markets:

  • Beatrice Downtown Farmers Market (Mid-May - Mid-October, Thursdays 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM)
  • Wymore Farmers Market (June - Frost, Tuesdays 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM)

Electricity Providers: City of Beatrice, City of Fairbury, City of Wymore, Norris PPD, Village of De Witt

Wind Turbines Operating (MW): 12 turbines (20,400 MW total)

Rail-served Communities: Adams, Beatrice, Clatonia

Well Locations (Irrigation/Livestock), Soils, Groundwater & Surface Water

Total Irrigation/Livestock Wells: 780

Surface Water Diversions (Irrigation): 483

Click for real time:

Streamflow data on Turkey Creek near DeWitt

Streamflow data on the Big Blue River at Barneston

Sources: National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA), Nebraska Cooperative Council, Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary EducationNebraska Department of TransportationNebraska Office of the CIO, Nebraska Power Review Board, U.S. Bureau of Economic AnalysisU.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau

2022 Levies and Valuation

County levy rate: $0.3416 per $100 of taxable valuation

County property taxes levied: $11,770,438

Total local government property taxes levied: $56,711,493

Total countywide taxable valuation: $3,445,377,858

Federal PILT payment to Blaine County (FY2022): $4,122 regarding 1,403 federally-owned acres

Click here for all levy rates in Gage County

County Levy and Taxation Laws

Levy limits

Since 1996, counties and other political subdivisions have been subject to the levy limits listed in Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-3442 and Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-3443.

Statutes and regulations

Nebraska Revised Statutes (Chapter 77)

Nebraska Administrative Code (Title 350)

Local tax reductions, exemptions, and credits:

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 76-902(5)(a) (Deed "stamp tax" exemption): "The [stamp tax] shall not apply to: ... (5)(a) Deeds between spouses, between ex-spouses for the purpose of conveying any rights to property acquired or held during the marriage, or between parent and child, without actual consideration therefor."

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-201(2) (Valuation of agricultural land and horticultural land): "Agricultural land and horticultural land as defined in section 77-1359 shall constitute a separate and distinct class of property for purposes of property taxation, shall be subject to taxation, unless expressly exempt from taxation, and shall be valued at seventy-five percent of its actual value, except that for school district taxes levied to pay the principal and interest on bonds that are approved by a vote of the people on or after January 1, 2022, such land shall be valued at fifty percent of its actual value."

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 77-6703(1) (Tax credit for school district taxes paid): "(1) For taxable years beginning or deemed to begin on or after January 1, 2020, under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, there shall be allowed to each eligible taxpayer a refundable credit against the income tax imposed by the Nebraska Revenue Act of 1967 or against the franchise tax imposed by sections 77-3801 to 77-3807. The credit shall be equal to the credit percentage for the taxable year, as set by the department under subsection (2) of this section, multiplied by the amount of school district taxes paid by the eligible taxpayer during such taxable year."

Sources: Nebraska Department of Revenue

State Senator: Myron Dorn (District 30)

Standing Committees (click for scheduled committee hearings): 

Special Committees: 

  • Legislative Performance Audit (chairperson)
  • Building Maintenance

Map and statistics for Legislative District 30

Map of all districts in the Nebraska Unicameral Legislature

Gage County History

Number of Registered Historic Places: 30

Year Authorized: 1855

Year Organized: 1857

Etymology: William Gage (Nebraska's 1st chaplain of the state legislature)

     Gage County boasts a place of national historical significance. According to the historical records of the General Land Office in Washington D.C., on January 1, 1863, Daniel Freeman filed the first claim under the U.S. Homestead Act. The claim was located just west of Beatrice, near Cub Creek. Although numerous settlers filed homestead claims on January 1, the official records list Daniel Freeman’s as the first.

     Gage County was founded in 1857, one of the original eighteen counties established by the 1854 Nebraska Territorial Legislature. The county was named in honor of William Gage, the chaplain of the Legislature at the time. Gage would also serve as one of the first county commissioners and help designate Beatrice as the county seat. The county seat was named after the middle name of a judge’s daughter; the judge was a member of a group called the Nebraska Association whose purpose was to establish a community in Nebraska territory. Although the city of Blue Springs challenged Beatrice for the county seat, the state legislature confirmed Beatrice as the Gage County seat in 1859.

     Gage County is also notable for its Welsh heritage. Wymore, founded in 1881, drew hundreds of Welsh immigrants who built a church and school centered on their language and traditions. The Welsh heritage and its impact on local history has been preserved for generations by the Wymore Welsh Heritage Project.

Highlight an important program in your county in this space! Send an email to:

Local Highlights

License Plate Number: 3

Time Zone: Central

Number of Veterans: 1,485

Zoned County: Yes

Number of County-Owned Bridges: 333

Number of County-Owned Dams: 1

Election Data

General Election Turnout % (2022): 56.83%

Total Registered Voters (2020): 14,521

Number of Precincts (2020): 10

Number of Election Day Polling Places (2020): 8

Land Area per Polling Place (avg.) (2020): 106.43 sq. miles

Intergovernmental Data

Emergency Mgt. Planning, Exercise and Training (PET) Region: Southeast

Natural Resource Districts: Lower Big Blue NRD, Nemaha NRD

State Lands (acres): Arrowhead WMA (320), Diamond Lake WMA (301.50), Donald Whitney WMA (50), Rockford Lake SRA (436.25)

Federal Lands (acres): Homestead National Historical Park (211)

Sources: Nebraska Department of Transportation, Nebraska Emergency Management AgencyNebraska Game & Parks CommissionNebraska LegislatureNebraska Office of the CIONebraska Secretary of StateU.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (eCFR)